You usually need a work permit to work in Canada. In some cases, you can work without a permit. Under the Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP), IRCC brings in foreign workers to address labor market shortages and provide economic opportunities for Canadians

With a few exceptions, foreign workers must have an approved job offer and a work permit before arriving in Canada.

Temporary Foreign Worker Program

Canada work visas are issued under the Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP) by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). Foreign workers must have an approved job offer and a work permit before arriving in Canada under the TFWP. The TFWP is intended to help Canadian employers recruit foreign workers in response to labor market shortages.
TFWP is made up of following streams:

  1. Skilled workers,
  2. The Agricultural Worker Program,
  3. Atlantic Immigration Pilot Program
  4. The Caregiver Program.

The Caregiver Program

On June 18, 2019, Canada government launched a new caregiver program. According to which you may be able to apply for permanent residence through the Home Child Care Provider Pilot or Home Support Worker Pilot if you:

  1. meet the eligibility requirements, and
  2. have a job offer to work in one of these occupations

Through these pilots, you’ll get an open work permit to come to Canada and work temporarily. This work permit:

  1. Is occupation-restricted (so you have to work in that specific occupation)
  2. Doesn’t need a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA)
  3. Lets you get the work experience you need to be eligible for permanent residence

IEC PROGRAM – (International Experience Canada)

In some cases, foreign workers may qualify to work in Canada without an LMIA under various programs, such as the International Mobility Program that includes working holidays visa, young professionals and international co-op internship. International Experience Canada (IEC) provides youth with the opportunity to travel and work in Canada. The IEC program is available in countries that have a consensual youth mobility arrangement with Canada.

Depending on where you are from, you can choose from up to three travel and work experiences:

Working Holiday

Fund your vacation with temporary work in Canada.  This program gives you the freedom to explore Canada while working part-time. You will get the open work permit and you will have the freedom to change the employers in Canada.

Young Professionals

This program let young professionals gain Canadian professional work experience to better compete in a global economy. The type of work permit you get in the Young Professionals category is an employer-specific work permit and you’ll work for the same employer in the same location during your stay in Canada.

International Co-op Internship

In this program the co-op students from educational institutes get valuable overseas work experience related to their field of study. In this program, the type of work permit you get is an employer-specific work permit. The internship you are offered in Canada must be directly linked to your field of studies.

Need Help? Chat with us